Saturday, December 8, 2012

  all taken from poor Negroes

  all taken from poor Negroes . . . and we wonder why we stay so poor. )Sick about Sammy, I queried from bar to bar among old-timers for West Indian Archie. The wirehadn't reported him dead, or living somewhere else, but none seemed to know where he was. I heardthe usual hustler fates of so many others. Bullets, knives, prison, dope, diseases, insanity, alcoholism. Iimagine it was about in that order. And so many of the survivors whom I knew as tough hyenas andwolves of the streets in the old days now were so pitiful,Moncler Jackets For Women. They had known all the angles, but beneaththat surface they were poor, ignorant, untrained black men; life had eased up on them and hypedthem. I ran across close to twenty-five of these old-timers I had known pretty well, who in the space ofnine years had been reduced to the ghetto's minor, scavenger hustles to scratch up room rent and foodmoney. Some now worked downtown, messengers, janitors, things like that. I was thankful to Allahthat I had become a Muslim and escaped their fate.
  There was Cadillac Drake. He was a big jolly, cigar-smoking, fat, black, gaudy-dressing pimp, aregular afternoon character when I was waiting on tables in Small's Paradise. Well, I recognized himshuffling toward me on the street. He had gotten hooked on heroin; I'd heard that. He was the dirtiest,sloppiest bum you ever laid eyes on. I hurried past because we would both have been embarrassed ifhe recognized me, the kid he used to toss a dollar tip.
  The wire worked to locate West Indian Archie for me. The wire of the streets, when it wants to, issomething like Western Union with the F.B.I. for messengers. At one of my early services at TempleSeven, an old scavenger hustler, to whom I gave a few dollars, came up when services were dismissed.
  He told me that West Indian Archie was sick, living up in a rented room in the Bronx.
  I took a taxi to the address. West Indian Archie opened the door. He stood there in rumpled pajamasand barefooted,Website, squinting at me.
  Have you ever seen someone who seemed a ghost of the person you remembered? It took him a few seconds to fix me in his memory. He claimed, hoarsely, "Red! I'm so glad to see you!"I all but hugged the old man. He was sick in that weak way. I helped him back. He sat down on theedge of his bed. I sat in his one chair, and I told him how his forcing me out of Harlem had saved mylife by turning me in the direction of Islam.
  He said, "I always liked you,cheap north face down jacket, Red," and he said that he had never really wanted to kill me. I told him ithad made me shudder many times to think how close we had come to killing each other. I told him Ihad sincerely thought I had hit that combinated six-way number for the three hundred dollars he hadpaid me. Archie said that he had later wondered if he had made some mistake, since I was so ready todie about it. And then we agreed that it wasn't worth even talking about, it didn't mean anythinganymore. He kept saying, over and over, in between other things, that he was so glad to see me.
  I went into a little of Mr. Muhammad's teaching with Archie. I told him how I had found out that all ofus who had been in the streets were victims of the white man's society I told Archie what I hadthought in prison about him; that his brain, which could tape-record hundreds of numbercombinations a day, should have been put at the sendee of mathematics or science,Moncler Jackets For Men. "Red, that sure issomething to think about," I can remember him saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment